Syracuse Bicycle Crash Attorneys
Were you hit and injured by a negligent driver while riding your bicycle? In New York State, bicyclists have the same legal right to share the road with other vehicles (unless otherwise specified). Too often careless drivers do not pay attention to cyclists, which can result in serious injuries. As experienced bicycle injury lawyers, we know when you have been struck by a reckless driver, you need to act fast. Contact the DeMore Law Firm today for a free case evaluation.
Hit by a car? You need an experienced bicycle injury attorney.
As Syracuse becomes more and more bicycle and eco-friendly, there are an increasing number of crashes involving a negligent automobile driver striking a cyclist.
A good example of our experience helping cyclists is the case where we secured a six figure insurance policy limit settlement for a 31 year-old Central New York man who was struck from behind by a car while riding his bicycle. He suffered compound fractures in his thoracic spine and utilized a “turtle shell” back brace for two months following the crash.
Common Causes of auto-bicycle crashes
- Failure to properly yield to a cyclist at an intersection
- A careless driver rear-ending a cyclist at a stop sign/intersection
- Vehicles entering the roadway from a side-street or driveway
- A car turning left across the path of a bicycle
- Distracted driving (speeding, texting, distracted driving, influence of alcohol or drugs, bad weather conditions, aggressive driving, etc.)
- A car or truck passing a bicycle in the road, shoulder, bike lane, etc.
- A car driving in or passing through the bike lane
- A parked car opening their door into the bike lane
Compensation and rights (damage, injuries, medical bills, evidence)
When a cyclist is injured due to the negligence of a motor vehicle operator, the medical bills can be costly, and the recovery from physical injuries can take weeks or months, sometimes even being life-altering. These cyclists are entitled to financial compensation for their injuries, medical bills, time off from work, and their emotional/mental stress from the crash. No one needs the fear of financial instability to be an extra burden while they recover from a bicycle crash.
Common Bicycle Crash Injuries
Bicycle crash injuries can be severe, because unlike a car, your bicycle doesn’t have seatbelts, doors, airbags, or much protection anywhere. A motor vehicle hitting a bike at any speed can quickly become a recipe for disaster. Common cyclist injuries range from cuts, bruises, and road-rash to broken bones, PTSD, traumatic brain injuries, and even death.
How to Stay Safe as a Cyclist
- Be aware of and obey all traffic rules (cyclists have to follow the same rules as motor vehicles)
- Don’t ride against the proper flow of traffic
- Don’t pass other vehicles on the right
- Don’t ride distracted (don’t wear headphones or operate a cellphone)
- Use proper hand signals
- Ensure your bicycle has the proper reflectors, lights, working brakes, and a bell/horn
- Never operate a bicycle under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Always wear a helmet (head injuries in bicycle-car crashes are common and can be severe)
- Ride defensively and keep an eye out for potential dangers and distracted drivers
- Plan your routes to use bike lanes where available
If you or a loved one has been hit by a car or truck while riding their bicycle, don’t hesitate, call the DeMore Law Firm today. Our experienced Syracuse bicycle crash attorneys are here to help when you need us most.